Do Self-Affirmations really work? The obvious answer is “Yes, of course, they do!”. Think about it for a minute. If you told yourself that ‘you might win the lottery,’ would you be more likely to buy a ticket than if you said yourself, the ‘the odds are so low, it’s not worth trying.’ Of course, you would! You may be relieved to know that this bit of common sense is also backed up by decades of randomly controlled experimental research!
According to Ray Williams, the concept of using Self-Affirmation to improve performance and self-esteem was first popularized by the French Psychologist, Emile Coye in the 1920’s. However, the term ‘Self-Affirmation’ was coined in the late 1980’s by Claude Steele. Since then, it has become a well-studied theory in social psychological research.
What follows is a brief summary of some of the findings of this body of the investigation:
Regularly Practicing Self Affirmations can;
1. Protect against the damaging effects of stress on problem-solving performance.
2. Boost the academic grade point average of underprivileged high school students.
3. Help adult women to lose weight.
4. Reduce negative expectations in challenging environments
5. Make adults more receptive to following protective - health measures for specific conditions
6. Have lasting effects on self-esteem, health, and happiness.
So, if you want to improve the quality of your life at a very minimal cost, enjoy coloring in the beautiful designs and powerful Self-Affirmations provided in this new coloring book supplied by the Artist Kelly Dombrowski.
Enjoy and experience increased self-esteem, self- confidence and just plain fun!
Steevie Jane Parks, Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist and Certified Creativity Coach www.creatingwithoutfear.com www.drsjparks.com